Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Every year, it never fails, after Thanksgiving and when December is just around the corner my mom gets excited for Christmas time. She absolutely loves Christmas music and it plays practically 24/7 in our house throughout the entire month of December. Kathy G, Kenny G, and other artists singing the classics like "Silver Bells"and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" can be heard anywhere in the house or by my mom singing along with the CD as she loads the dishwasher or does whatever else. I think I love the idea of the holiday season. I actually love the holidays: lots of good food, getting together with family that busy schedules don't always allow for much time to see, catching up with each other and just spending quality time together are things I love about celebrating holidays. I love that several generations come together under one house to celebrate traditions that have and are being passed down and I love the idea that hopefully later on in my life at some point I'll be the middle generation like my parents are now, going over to my parents house with my kids and seeing my brother and sister with their children, helping prepare the meal. And also the idea that hopefully one day I'll be the oldest generation with all of my children coming to my house as I watch my grandchildren enjoy these values. I love the idea of the holidays allowing everyone to experience happiness and enjoy with their families, and the idea that this is outwardly expressed as their everyday attitudes are lightened. I'm not quite sure how much of the ideas of happiness and joy are actually true but I love the idea of them. And so today, although November has just peeked around the corner, I decided to indulge myself in nostalgia, look forward to the holidays, and find rest in listening to Kenny G Holiday on my Pandora while studying for my biology test tomorrow. Maybe the two don't really go hand in hand but, hey, if it makes studying biology more enjoyable, I'm all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment