Sunday, September 18, 2011

What Would Jesus Do?

What would Jesus do? When a 4 year old little boy was curious about my bracelet last week, I let him touch it, ask about it and attempted to feed his curiosity about this new things that interested him so much. However, usually when people ask me about my bracelet, this bracelet that has WWJD written on it, I take that opportunity to tell them what it stands for and share Jesus with them - who He is and what He has done in my life. But it was at that moment that I realized I couldn't share about Jesus with this little boy because of our circumstances, because we were in a public school where I was held to the same standards as his teacher. It breaks my heart to think now that I didn't share Jesus with Him but even more because the rules said that I couldn't. I feel so conflicted about what I should have done. There are so many Christ followers that put their lives on the line each and every single moment because they dare to share Christ in places and contexts in which the rules say it is not ok. But does that same principle apply here? Was I to risk my future as an educator to share Jesus with this little boy? There are many public school teachers out there today who love Jesus and share the love of Christ with their students simply through helping them, encouraging them, serving them, and striving to love them unconditionally. I ask myself, what would Jesus do if a little boy asked Him this same question in the very same contexts? This has been on my heart a good bit since this occurrence and I know now that I must trust that God is showing this little boy Jesus through everything else about me if not through my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment